Friday, January 22, 2010

Tax on Pop - Response


In our normal world that we live in today, continously, people are starting to become health conscious and start to worry so much that they'd do anything to maintain a healthy life, as well to live better. Health consciousness may seem too healthy, and may make people think that they'd have to eat vegetables every single day but its not true. Health consciousness is when someone is aware of the foods that they are consuming and the multiple effects they have on the body. Pop/Coke is one of the most largest liquids that affect the rate of obesity in Canada today. Many commercials and other sources of media that contain information always prove that these simple unhealthy choices can add up. Variety of people in our nation today continue to deny and not believe that Pop can increase the weight once drank continously. People who continue to drink pop, are just hurting themselves as well, they are ultimately unaware or even uncaring of their future. People do not seem to realize that Pop is a liquid that can damage the body, it may taste good to some people, but the after product that effects the body is dangerous. That just leaves people to decide for themselves, whether Pop in their opinion is good or bad..

I believe that the New York Health Department’s attempts to help people make healthy choices just wonderfully amazing. I think the video that was included in the post was an excellent example on what Pop would do once consumed. I think its a clever way to convince people that its unhealthy, and that they shouldn't drink it no more. People never really come to think of the consequences of their choices of food. As I watched the movie Super Size Me, i thought it was horrible, disturbing, disgusting, and just plain awful. That movie seemed like the guy was torturing himself just by consuming all the junk into his body. He knew it was not healthy, he wanted to try it which was actually really stupid. Furthermore, eating MacDonald’s once a month will not harm you, but if you have it once a day, then definitely there will be devastating health effects that would lead you to dissapointing news. The movie Super Size Me was awful, but it was a great thing to do to show people what JUNK everyday would TRULY DO to your body. Sometimes scare campaigns are quite necessary because people need to see and need to BELIEVE with their own eyes the actual possibilities and not just hear the facts in order to create a change based on emotional response.

In my personal opinion, the video posted did not make me want to become a healthier person. Because, I myself, already am health concious. I watch what I eat all the time, and try to maintain a healthy body. Personally, I HATE POP, it really is disgusting, it makes me gag at times. I avoid pop for the most part, and stick to water and juices as well as milk. Overall, the video made me feel awkward and at the same time dissapointed. It was a disturbing reminder that many people are not health conscious, and that a video like that is needed to motivate people to eat healthy. People need to learn by themselves, they need to force themselves and notify themselves to eat healthy everyday, they need to focus and take care of their own bodies in order to live a good life. They can't just depend on a video to convince them. In my opinion I think that the growing rates of obesity in our nation is a huge problem due to many not taking things seriously. Obesity leads to so many other health problems and complications later in life. Obese people should start to question themselves, to further believe and understand the true meaning of what being healthy is. Water leads to a more healthier long life, while coke leads to nonhealthy less life.

I really do hope that the tax does go through so that people can start to know what to do, and I hope that Canada feels convinced enough as well and adds it’s own taxes to pop.15 cents is not enough, I think they should add in more so that coke wouldn't be worth it anymore. If it does go through, I would not buy it at all, because as I said i barely drink Pop, which increases my chances of preventing obesity. People need to be able to maintain and make their own decisions. Seriously, I think they should go on and care to try to help people make healthier choices, because if they don't they would be having to suffer the consequences which would most likely defeat them. People need to stand up and do whats right, rather than just sit down, and gain more weight.

0 comments: